Monday, May 7, 2012

Joggers have a longer life span

When I was at the gym today I was watching CNN (exciting I know).  There was a segment about how joggers have a longer life span.

"Jogging and longevity: Joggers live longer than non-joggers -- by an average of about six years, say European researchers who followed 20,000 people for up to 35 years. One intriguing twist: Deaths rates are lowest, they say, in people who jog lightly -- running at a slow to moderate pace for 1 to 2.5 hours each week. News accounts and a press release about the research do not say how closely the researchers examined other differences among joggers and non-joggers that might contribute to longer life spans. But one researcher proclaims: "We can say with certainty that regular jogging increases longevity. The good news is that you don't actually need to do that much to reap the benefits."

I knew being a slower runner would come to my advantage at one point!  Coincidence maybe, but as that segment came to an end, I saw 2 people go from walking to jogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment