Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The beginning

Weight has always been a huge issue with me.  Growing up I was one of the heaviest girls in my classes.  Gym class sucked.  I was active, but my parents weren't the best at making sure my food intake was nutritous.  I remember eating a sleeve of girl scout cookies for breakfast when I was in 5th grade.  Both parents worked and my grandmother lived across the street from us, so my brother and I would be home alone before school and for about an hour after school.  I'd come home from school and make a plate of nachos and cheese for myself or 4 slices of cinnamon toast.  My dad worked at a grocery store and would bring home donuts.  We would have those for dessert at night.  I didn't know any better.

Many of my friends were on the local softball team.  I wanted and wanted to play too.  My parents response was "you have to lose weight before you would be able to play softball".  Don't get me wrong, my parents were great parents.  This one category of my life is what really bothers me about my childhood.  My dad was and still is overweight.  My mom was overweight as I was growing up, but now due to some medical issues is a stick.  My brother (half-brother) was blessed with a high metabolism.  
 
I always wanted to be thin, but really didn't know how to make it happen.   I was active.  I lived in a neighborhood full of kids and we would be outside running around and riding our bikes from sun up to past sundown.  I thought that since I was so active I had to eat. 

My middle school summers were spent trying to lose weight.  I'd have salads for lunch, but then piled all kinds of high calorie extras.  It was a salad though.  I was eating healthy.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment