Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First 5k

I had a group of friends who was also trying to lose weight.  We would motivate each other.  A few of us decided to give running a try.  Another friend who was a runner recommended the Couch to 5k program.  We began this adventure in March.  The winter weather was breaking so I was able to do some running down at the park with my little one in a stroller.
I was never a runner.  In school when we had to do the mile run, I was almost always last and my friends and I would cheat by saying we ran more laps than we actually did since we would count each others.  In adulthood I had a few spurts of wanting to run, but it was a lot of jogging and walking.  This time I was going to try to do full running.  We chose a date for a 5k the middle of July.
The first few runs were so difficult.  My breathing was horrible.  My legs were tired.  Finally I got into the groove and was enjoying this sport I hated.  The days were longer so I would go running in the evening after dinner by myself.  It was my 'me' time.  I'm a stay at home mom, so I have very little 'me' time.  I loved it.
By the time July came, I was running over the 3.1 miles straight and was down to the upper 140's in weight.  I was so proud of myself.  Mostly I was proud of how proud my husband was of me.  He was telling everyone at work about my accomplishments.   I ran the 5k in 32 min and some odd seconds.  My goal was 30 min, but I was close.
After the race, the humidity became worse and I was having a hard time running in that weather.  Eventually my love for running diminished.  We went on a cruise where there was food galore. In those 2 months, I gained a few lbs back.  We decided to try for another baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment