Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Rationalizing

Monday was not a good day in our house.  It was our first day at being back in our routine.  The boys were whiney and my patience was running thin.  I was so happy once bedtime came along.  We converted the little guy's crib to a toddler bed because he has become quite the monkey and was beginning to figure out how to climb out of the bed.  He sleeps in a toddler bed at my parents house so we figured - no problem!  WRONG!  He wants to be in a big boy bed (twin) just like his brother.  That means at nighttime he'll wake up and climb in bed with his brother.  Every night he wakes up crying (I think because his brother is a restless sleeper).  So nights have been interesting here.  Fast forward to Tuesday morning 4:15 am.  The little guy wakes up, I bring him out of the room until he calms down, just like any other night when he wakes up so he doesn't wake up the oldest.  I go to put him back down in his bed and he throws a fit.  I end up just taking him to our bed because he sleeps well in there too (because it's not a toddler bed apparently). I have my alarm set for 4:50am to do an outdoor run.  The little guy ends up falling asleep on top of me.  The thoughts that were going through my mind were:

"ok I could transfer him to the actual bed, have him wake up.  My husband would have to deal with him which would make him grumpy at night time due to lack of sleep.  Little guy would be grumpy again due to waking up too early.  The oldest one will feed off of the little one and will act out, which would make the day be a repeat of Monday.  The end result would be stress eating."

or

"I could just lay here in bed, everyone would be nicely rested and we would have a good day.  I'll end up missing a workout, but I'll definitely go tomorrow.  No ifs ands or buts.  He's only going to be this small once, why miss out on this cuddle time?"

Guess which one won?  Yup the later of the 2.  We did end up having a mostly good day and I did no stress eating.  I also did make it to the gym this morning where I did bike, Jackie Warner treadmill workout, some walking as well us upper body strength training. 

“Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.” ~Denis Waitley

No comments:

Post a Comment