Monday, February 7, 2011

You are what you eat

There was recently a commercial on tv for some kind of food.  I don't remember what the brand was or what exactly the food was, but I do remember the premise of the commercial.  There was a children's soccer team.  One mom fed her child a nutritious food item before the game.  Another mom fed her child a non-nutritious food.  The non-nutritious food child was running around the field dressed in a costume of whatever the food was and was having difficulty playing the game while the nutritious food child was scoring goals.  Words came on the screen or maybe it was an announcer saying something along the lines of you are what you eat. That is exactly how I felt at the gym today.

I had a bad weekend in the food department.  I knew it was going to be bad so I saved my Weight watchers activity and weekly points.  On Saturday we sent the kids to their aunt and uncle's house so the husband and I decided to go to Old Country buffet for lunch/dinner.  Whenever I go to a place like that I always pass on the healthier foods and go right for the grease ... fried chicken, french fries, onion rings, pizza, tacos.  I was in heaven.  Finished the meal off with some kind of chocolate goodness topped with ice cream.  Pure bliss.  My stomach was starting revolt that night.  Horrible indigestion from those onion rings.  But boy were they good onion rings.  Of course yesterday was the Superbowl.  Seriously, you have to eat the yummy food when you're at a Superbowl party.  Chips, dips, hoagies.  Yum Yum.

So this morning I was at the gym.  I did 15 min warm up on the elliptical and then switched to the treadmill for running.  I felt so incredibly sluggish.  Last week I ate awesome, stuck to my weight watcher points every day and drank TONS of water.  On Friday I was able to run those 2 miles with no problems at all.  Today however, after the weekend of horrible eating I could barely do the mile.  I didn't give up though.  I pushed myself to get to that mile.  Then walked 1/4 mile.  I was tempted to just walk the rest of the time, but told myself I had to do it.  So I ran another mile.  By the end I was happy that I did push myself, but the whole time I was hating myself for doing that to my body over the weekend.

But I have read that when you are "dieting" you need to trick your body every now and then because it gets used to what you are doing.  So that is what I did this weekend.  I fooled my body by eating delicious fatty food.  On that note, I will not be stepping on that scale again until Friday.  I will however be sticking to my points and drinking that water again.

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places".  ~Author Unknown

1 comment:

  1. so true - I am feeling a little sluggish this morning, but I pushed through my workout.

    ReplyDelete