Thursday, April 28, 2011

Identity

One of the reasons why I have been really trying to love running is not only for the weightloss/health benefits, but also to help gain identity.   Sometimes (well many times) I feel like I still don't know exactly who I am these days.  When my oldest was born, I quit my job to be a Stay at Home Mom.  Sometimes I feel like I get stuck in that mom rut.  I used to have hobbies.  I used to dress stylish.  I used to get my hair cut and highlighted frequently.  Now I'm mostly known as my children's mom.  My hobbies have gone by the wayside.  I wear the same clothes because I dislike having to find clothes that suit my current body.  Running/exercise is something that I enjoy.  It's also something that I can do by myself, without my children.  As I lose weight and inches, I'm starting to feel more confident about myself.  I don't feel like a blob hauling children around.  As that confidence grows, I'm realizing I can do more and more.  I feel a sense of accomplishment when I'm done with each workout.  I'm getting to be known to friends and family as a runner (and a coupon queen lol).  I want to be an inspiration for others, especially loved ones who are sedentary.  If I can just help save 1 life by getting them moving, my goal is complete. 

"The only journey is the journey within." - Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments:

Post a Comment