Monday, April 18, 2011

Today's realization

First a weekend recap:  I have to pat myself on the back for staying pretty much on track over the weekend while away.  I did treat myself to an Orange Julius Saturday while at the mall and we stopped at McDonald's for dinner on the way home, but I had a Happy Meal.  We woke up Saturday to rain so I wasn't able to get the run in that I was hoping for.  But all in all it was a good *fairly* healthy weekend comparing it to before when I would indulge myself in sweets.

Today my husband had off work so I was able to sleep in and skip the early morning gym routine.  In the afternoon I headed to the park down the street from my house for a run.  I haven't run outdoors since the beginning of March so I was somewhat nervous.  I ran for about 40 minutes after a 5 min walk to get there.  That was about 3.25 laps around the park.  I'm really not sure what that breaks down to being mileage wise, but I ran the whole thing without stopping for a walk.

While running today I had a realization.  Running outdoors is so much easier for me.  I've been starting to dread running on the treadmill while at the gym.  It's just so boring despite being able to watch whatever is on tv (I tune into the news so I can catch the weather and whatever else is going on in the world).  Outside I get a change of scenery, I can adjust my pace as needed without feeling bad about having to push a button down or killing myself by thinking  I should be running at a faster pace.  I listen to a radio station that has some good beat songs (I'm thinking of trying to listen to the radio instead of the tv next time I'm on the treadmill to see if that helps).  I can give myself focal points on where I want to run before giving myself a break (most of the time I hit those points and pick another one instead of stopping).  Running outdoors is just much more natural for me.  So what my husband and I are going to try to do now that daylight lasts longer is head down to the park a few nights each week.  We'll alternate nights of running for both of us.  One will run while the other plays with the kids on the playground.  So I'm looking forward to that, that is until the horrible summer humidity creeps in.  Then I'll be happy to be running on a boring treadmill again.

"It's choice—not chance—that determines your destiny." Jean Nidetch, Weight Watchers Founder

No comments:

Post a Comment