Monday, March 21, 2011

breaking in the new shoes

This morning was the first time I was thankful that my youngest woke up at 2:45am.  Before I went back to sleep I realized that I forgot to set my alarm to wake me up for the gym.  If it wasn't for him I would probably still be sleeping. 

I never made it out yesterday for a run so today was my first day with the new shoes.  They were great.  My legs and feet felt amazing.  It was a rough run though because I just could not get into the groove.  I briefly walked twice during the 3.1 miles.  It was just one of those mornings.  Despite walking I ended the run at 35:07.  Afterwards I did some upper body strength training and obliques.

Now that the weather has it's moments of being nice and we're shedding the sweaters and coats, people are starting to notice the change in my body. It's always a nice confidence booster when someone makes a comment.  One of my good friends joined Weight Watchers 2 weeks ago so it's nice to have another person to share exchange ideas.  Actually a bunch of my good friends in the area are currently working at getting rid of our baby fat.  One is doing Atkins, 3 of us are doing Weight Watchers, another is eliminating breads, others are just watching what they eat.  I always find it interesting  the different ways in which people try to lose weight and what works for one person doesn't always work for another.

My oldest and I planted our garden seeds yesterday.  This year we're attempting to grow:  cucumbers, zucchini, sweet corn, lettuce, parsley, basil, cilantro,  garden beans, asparagus, black beans (he chose that one I have no clue how that will turn out), peppers, and pumpkin.  We'll be picking up a tomato plant when we're ready to plant them outdoors.  We're not overly huge tomato eaters in this house so we only need 1 plant and not however many a seed packet can produce.  I also want to pick up some strawberry plants as well as a blueberry bush.  I'm really excited to have so much fresh food growing in our backyard.  Last year we did well with zucchini.  I admit I got lazy with watering and the upkeep to the garden that some plants just didn't do well and my dog dug up the strawberry and blueberry plants.  We have plans to enclose the garden more to prevent that from happening. 

 

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.  "
~ Unknown Author

1 comment:

  1. Glad you like your new shoes!!

    The boys and I planted a garden a few weeks ago (we're in FL so it has been warm for awhile). Our bell peppers and a few tomatoes are so close to being ready. I can't wait! We are huge tomato eaters so I planted 3 different kinds.

    We attempted blueberries last year with no success. If I remember correctly blueberries you'll need 2 of them cause they cross pollinate or something. Still didn't work for us. We did manage a few raspberries but they were SOUR! Nicholas still ate them.

    ReplyDelete