Monday, March 14, 2011

I know it's absolutely cruel of me to post this picture on a blog that deals with weightloss.  Is there a pile of drool under you?  This is the cake that was looking me straight in the eye last night at my sister -in-law's birthday dinner.  It's the Linda's Fudge Cake from The Cheesecake Factory.  The description on the website is: Layers of Rich Chocolate Cake and Fudge Frosting.  What it doesn't say is that the circumference of the cake has tons of chocolate chips packed into the frosting.  It was good.  I shared a small piece with my youngest and since I'm not much of a fan of icing I scraped it off.  It was a nice little treat.  I did skip on the ice cream though. :)

I was very proud of my will-power last night.  Normally I take a party as an excuse to pig out.  You only live once right?  Well I may only live once, but I want that one lifetime to be as long as possible.  I think seeing my BMI in black and white over the weekend was a real reality check for me.  I never considered myself obese before, overweight yes, but not obese.  I want to be around as long as possible to watch my kids grow and hopefully meet grandchildren and great grandchildren.  My families medical history isn't great by any means, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease.  I don't want to have any of that.  I want to be like my grandmother who is still kicking without any medical issues at the age of 86(?). 

Last night when everyone was chowing down on that cake and ice cream, in the back of my head I kept hearing my voice saying 127 (my newest ultimate goal weight in hopes to be in the "normal" range of BMI) over and over.  Trust me I did want to eat a big old piece of cake like everyone else, but I didn't want to defeat myself.  I was purely happy with a tiny piece and I wasn't even hungry.  I hate when people say "well you ran yesterday and you're going to the gym tomorrow right?"  Yes I did and yes I am, but that's to work off all those pieces of cake and ice cream that I've had the past 32 years of my life.  

Brief synopsis of today's gym:  Oblique and upper body strength training done.  walked 5 min (.25 mi) on the treadmill then ran 1.5 miles (5.5 mph), walked 2 min and ran 1.5 (starting at 5.6 and upped it for the last half just so I could get the run over quicker since I was running out of time).  2 minute cool down.  total time for the 3 mile run today including 2 min walk: 32:52.  The reason I walked halfway through is because my body is just sore.  We did our spring outdoor clean up of the yard both Saturday and yesterday.  I ache. 

"You're never beaten until you admit it." - George S. Patton
 

4 comments:

  1. Great job on the willpower! For me I can be totally happy with a tiny piece of cake but if I'm done eating and others are still eating cake I crave more. If I wait and eat it when others are almost done then I'm satisfied. Little mind games to make it easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great will power! For me there is always a holiday and always a celebration so if I don't control my eating I will just gain all the weight back. So whenever someone says, but is only XXXX day I remind them of the 500 other special holidays I have a year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls. Of course the thinnest girl there had 1 1/2 pieces of the cake. She's in her early 20's and I kept thinking - enjoy it while you can before it all catches up with you. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that looks so decadent! Great job on just taking a tiny piece. You are a better woman than I am... and YOU are getting results! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete